Provide “verifiable evidence” about missing tennis player: UK to China

Chinese state media posted videos on Saturday showing Peng Shuai smiling and healthy

London:

Britain on Saturday urged China to provide “verifiable evidence” about the “safety and whereabouts” of tennis star Peng Shuai, whose whereabouts remain unclear after sexual assault allegations against a top Communist Party official .

“We are deeply concerned by the apparent disappearance of Peng Shuai and are following the matter closely,” the Foreign Office said in a statement.

“Everyone should be allowed to speak out without fear of repercussions. All reports of sexual harassment anywhere in the world should be investigated,” the statement said.

London’s call for clarity follows similar demands on Friday from the United States and the United Nations, and Chinese state media posted videos on Saturday showing Peng smiling and well.

AFP could not confirm the authenticity of the video.

International pressure has been mounting this week for information about the whereabouts of the 35-year-old, two-time Grand Slam doubles champion, who earlier this month accused a former deputy prime minister of forcing her to have sex.

(Except for the title, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *