Manchester City’s Benjamin Mendy has been charged with two additional rape charges: Prosecutor | football news

Manchester City and French international defender Benjamin Mendy have been charged with two additional counts of rape, prosecutors said on Tuesday. With all the alleged offenses related to the period between October 2020 and August this year, he is now facing six counts of rape and one of sexual assault involving four complainants who are above 16 years of age. The Crown Prosecution Service said in a statement that a second man, Louis Saha Maturi, has been charged with two more charges of rape and one sexual assault. Mendy, 27, from Prestbury, and Maturi, 40, from Eccles in northwest England, are to appear before a magistrate in Stockport, near Manchester, on Wednesday.

Court proceedings in the UK are subject to strict reporting restrictions prior to any trial, to avoid the risk of jury bias in their deliberations.

The two men had previously appeared at Chester Crown Court on 10 September, and were told they would stand trial on 24 January the following year. The couple has been taken on remand.

The 52-million-pound ($70 million) Mendy, who signed from Monaco in 2017, played 75 times for City, winning three Premier League titles, but his playing time has been limited by injuries and loss of form.

He has only two years left to sign a six-year contract.

His last out of 10 caps for France came in November 2019.

publicized

The left-back, who won the World Cup in 2018, has been suspended pending the outcome of criminal proceedings by the Premier League champions.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Topics mentioned in this article

,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *